Dusk is gradually pushing back, mornings are teasingly becoming brighter and there is a real sense of hope for spring.
At this time of year, I always experience a lift in mood, an increased spring in my step and a real enthusiasm for the change of season.
With this shift in weather comes the excitement for new adventure; spring hikes amongst the blossoming buds, exploring new terrain as it unveils itself from the darkness of winter and runs through woodland that gradually become dry underfoot. It’s a time to venture out from the shelter of winter, breath in the fresh air and invigorate mind, body and soul.
So with a plethora of adventurous opportunities waiting, I wanted to give you something extra special to mark the au revoir to winter and the bonjour to spring!
Banana bread has to be one of the most popular baked treats suitable for all occasions. Whether it’s a family picnic in the park, an afternoon garden gathering or an outdoor enthusiasts lunch box treat, this satisfying snack is a great way to fuel up, comfort the belly and bring a smile to your face!
Easy, quick, low in sugar and low in fat, this recipe is healthy, delicious and can be tweaked to suit your own personal tastes. With just 5 ingredients and one bowl or blender required, you will swiftly become the culinary Queen of the outdoors supplying batches for all varieties of adventures!
5 Ingredients Banana Bread
- 3 medium ripe bananas (I select slightly brown for increased sweetness)
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
That’s it for the basic recipe. For further varieties try adding any of the following;
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I recommend dark!)
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- ¼ cup crushed nuts; cashew, brazil, walnut
- ¼ cup nut butter, smooth or crunchy
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9x5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and well combined. If adding extra ingredients, gently mix these in after blending.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. (Garnish the top of the batter with thinly sliced banana, if desired or topping of choice)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let loaf cool completely in loaf pan before removing and slicing. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Such a simple recipe with the potential to bring so much joy!
Happy baking Folks and don’t forget to tag myself and Acai in your outdoor adventures, we love hearing from you!
Yours in health and happiness